In the following questions some of the sentences have errors and some have none. Find out which part of a sentence have errors and some have none. Find out which part of a sentence has an error. The number of that part is your answer. If there is no error, your answer is (4) i.e. No error.
(1) The newer type of automatic machines (1) / wash (2) / the clothes faster. (3) / No error (4)
Answer : (1) The newer type of automatic machines
(1) It is not proper to use Comparative Degree here.
Hence, “the new/latest type of automatic machines” will be correct usage
2. By the time (1) / we got our tickets and entered the cinema theater, (2) / the show was already begun. (3) / No error (4)
Answer : (3) the show was already begun
(3) Here, Past Perfect should be used.
Hence, “the show was already begun should be replaced by the show had already begun
3. Each of the students in the computer class (1) / has to type (2) / their own research paper this semester. (3) / No error (4)
Answer : (4) No error
(4) No error
4. The fact of me (1) / being a stranger (2) / does not excuse his conduct (3) / No error (4)
Answer : (1) The fact of me
(1) Here. Objective Case should be replaced by Possessive Case.
Hence, the fact of my being…….. will be the correct answer
5. The Sea looks (1) / as if it has been (2) / agitated by a storm (3) / No error (4)
Answer : (2) as if it has been
(2) As if takes plural form of verb, generally in Past Tense.
Hence, the sea looks as if it have / had been …… will be correct sentence
6. Knowledge of (1) / at least two language (2) / are required to pass the examination (3) / No error (4)
Answer : (3) are required to pass the examination
(3) The structure of some sentence is :
Noun + Preposition + Noun
In these sentences, Verb is used according to the number and person of the Noun used before the Preposition.
Look at the sentences :
The details of the incident was not known.
Plural Singular Singular
The details of the incident were not known,
Therefore, knowledge of at least two languages is……. will be the correct sentence
7. The members of the Opposition Party in the Parliament (1) / shout upon the minister (2) / if he makes a wrong statement (3) / No error (4)
Answer : (2) shout upon the minister
(2) The group of words shout upon the minister should be replaced by shout at the minister because the meaning of shout at is : to say something in aloud voice : to speak loudly / angrily to somebody
Look at the sentence :
Sita shouted at him to shut the gate
8. Everyone of the films (1) / you suggested (2) / are not worth seeing (3) / . No error (4)
Answer : (1) Everyone of the films
(1) In the sentences, everyone of the films should be replaced by all the films. Everyone means everybody, all people. It is to be noted that the sentence has a plural verb
9. The Secretary and the Principal of the college (1) / are attending (2) / the District Development Council Meeting at the Collector ate. (3) / No error (4)
Answer : (4) No error
(4) If in a sentence both the Nouns take articles, then it seems that they are separate persons and hence Plural Verb is used. For example,
The poet and the philosopher have expressed so.
In the second example, Singular verb has been used because Article the has been used before only one Noun and it denotes that same person is both poet and philosopher
10. No sooner had the hockey match started (1) / when it began (2) / to rain. (3) / No error (4)
Answer : (2) when it began
(2) In the sentence, when should be replaced by than because No sooner ____ than is the correct form of correlative. For example, No sonner did the thieves see the police than they ran away